Monday, April 16, 2012

Naniberi's fashion DO's and DON'Ts!!~♥


Mkay, so it's not in a week like I originally said, LOL. But FINALLY I've gotten around to writing my top fashion do's and don'ts! 



When I go out in my town, I am always always getting compliments on how I look, even though a lot of times I feel like I look like complete and utter sh!t, haha. 
But sometimes it's strangers, sometimes family and even my friends and coworkers that compliment me...and I really appreciate it all so much.♥
I used to be a seriously ugly duckling when I was a younger kid at age 10 probably through 15. Skinny and lanky, messy hair, mismatched clothes, weird teeth, ugly nails. And I was really shy and extremely socially awkward. >.<Me and bear-chan. I love him. yay me. I also love my new hair bangs. =]
Pictures when I was like 15-19-ish? Still derpy! :p

Me and hello kitty being fly...notice the Japanese on shirt

How do I always have a mirror pic w/ a hello kitty shirt on?

Acting goofy in pic n save!! ^^'
Justa' herpin' mah derp. xD

On top of that I was completely inhibited, had no self esteem whatsoever! 
I'd always wanted to be a fashionable person, and though I'd always had it in me I never had the confidence to go through with it until after I graduated high school, and since then I've completely uninhibited myself and my confidence has been SO much better! (Though I'm still a bit critical of myself..haha.(#/。\#) 









One of the number one questions that I get asked by people is "How do you put it all together? How can I better accesorize my outfits similar to how you do it? How can I make my clothes work on me like how they do for you?"

I noticed that so many different varieties of people were asking me the same questions, but since I have so many things that I go by it was kinda hard to assess everyone's individual issue in regards to fashion lol...so that's when I decided to sit down and think of the top do's and don't's that I follow personally! (☆^ー^☆)

Now I don't claim to be the best most fashionable person ever, but I do believe that I've at last, found a style and technique that works for me...and I would love to inspire or maybe even help other girls (gyaru or non-gyaru) reach their potential by sharing my visions and viewpoints!!


And nooooow with all that said, let's start with the DO's!

(click below)




♥~ FASHION DO's ~

DO know your body. Find what works for you and suits you well. So many times when people shop for clothes, make-up or get a new hairstyle they either get the wrong sizes, wrong colors, or the wrong style. Of course with things such as lifestyle changes (like pregnancy, weight loss, etc.) it can be more difficult to find what works for yourself, but through lots of trial and error it can be achieved!(^ω^) 
For example, my style is gyaru. Gyaru of course originated in Japan, and it's all about adjusting and enhancing when it comes to the make-up! If you take a look at the way they do their eyes, you'll notice that a lot of times the lash line is extended and elongated.
 


(images borrowed from google)

This is done in an attempt to make the eyes appear bigger than they are, or to give them a different shape.

But I myself already have ginormous eyes!
 So instead, I don't bother elongating the bottom lashline and I apply it along the same shape of my own eyes. I had to adjust the look a bit to make it work for me..while still achieving the gyaru appearance. 

A lot of us aren't born knowing how to put it together like a fashionista, or sometimes we just don't have what we need in order to make a particular look work for us. That's why learning your body, trial and error and making necessary adjustments are extremely imperative! Look at things like your personality, your body and your lifestyle and try to match up your style and fashion accordingly.

I myself have been known to try out a ton of different looks, but my main look is always one word: GIRLY!♥  It fits my personality, my mood, my body type and my general lifestyle as well...and that's how I know I can pull it off. I also take inspiration from those I admire, but not everyone can pull of a particular type of look. That's why finding your personal style is important! ^_~

 Finding out what works is more simple than it may seem: For instance, if you are a heavier set girl, be sure to find clothes that fit properly and are not too tight. If you're smaller, don't drown yourself in big garments. If you are somewhere in the middle, look for clothing that does not draw attention to the chunky areas. (For example, if you have a stomach that pokes out a bit, try to avoid certain tops that are fitted around the belly area.)

For girls of a darker shade, test out make-up products and see which ones bring out your skin's glow and which ones go best with your skin-tone in general. I know I'm going to catch a lot of heat for this...but I personally don't think that women of darker skin shades should wear make-up that is too bright or blonde hair color, mainly because they remind me of these things:
 

 


Granted I've seen some girls who are able to pull it off very nicely, but a lot of times it looks a bit unflattering. (In MY humble opinion.) But with that said, everyone's fashion is THEIR choice! So If one wants to go blonde, I say go for it...just be sure that the color flows as much as possible with your skin tone.
 Find out what your best physical feature is on your body and try to accentuate and draw attention to that feature as much as possible. For me, I think my best feature are my legs and eyes! So I always make sure that my eyes are glamorous and doll-like, and that I wear clothes that show off my legs well (such as short skirts, skinny jeans and leggings.)

This can even apply in reverse to things you may be insecure about! If you have large feet, they can look smaller by wearing certain types of heels.  Legs could appear longer and more shapely with high-waist clothing with the top tucked in, and a booty could look way more juicy with the right pair of jeans! For me, I can't stand my boobies because I think they're too small. So of course, there are push up bras for that! It's all about adjusting and enhancing wherever necessary! My number one rule: learn and know your body.



DO be open-minded.
 
Just think about how many different shades and colors there are to choose from when it comes to clothing and make-up! Experimenting and switching it up every now and then is a MUST when it comes to fashion. You can't expect to find your personal style and be a fashionable girl if you aren't open to too many things, right?
Famous and popular icons like Lady GaGa, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Bjork and even Cher are known for their often times daring sense of fashion:

 

 



 

 


For myself, my main inspiration for my style has always come from Japan. Just about every type of  Japanese fashion sub-genre I've seen has inspired me in some way!

 

 

 







(images borrowed from google)

Now you may not want to go as extreme as some of these people have gone, but in order for them to even reach this level they had to be open to it! Even if you want to stick to one particular style, switching up the look every now and then makes YOUR look more stylish as well. Say you want to go for a rocker/alternative style that involves a lot of black. Instead of wearing all black all the time, add some color in along with the black from time to time...which would be easy since black goes with nearly anything!(ノ*゜▽゜*) Switch it up and make it pop! 

A lot of times people are afraid to try certain looks because they think they'd look silly or just wouldn't pull it off well, and that may very well be the case. But I say...you will never know unless you give it a try!。◕‿◕。 Sometimes you might have to go through a bunch of different styles until you find which one suits you best. But you'll never find it if you don't try out a few things and switch things up every now and then. I myself went from tomboy to pixie/hipster to emo and now gyaru, and out of all the looks this one has definately worked the best on me! So I say don't be afraid of looking a hot mess a few times, because I guarantee it will lead up to the discovery of something better.



DO be confident. A girl can have on the most stylish outfit ever, but if she isn't confident about it or herself she can look just as blah as if she wore a simple hoodie and slacks. The way you present yourself is what makes the outfit!

If you're going for a glamorous look, BE glamorous. Be classy and feminine. Smile a lot and walk with your head held up high like your on the runway...you look great, so work it! Walk into the rooms you enter with confidence and elegance. The clothes you wear and the look you have should match your attitude about yourself and your life. This aspect can take a while to bring out in people, since it seems that the NUMBER one thing I notice about girls who ask me for style advice is that they are lacking in confidence. Either they feel uncomfortable in what they wear because of body issues or they are afraid of being judged based on how they look by others. But I say if you're gonna wear it, declare it.


For daring styles in particular, confidence is a must. One of my most favorite fashion designers is Alexander Mcqueen.

 


I like his style because it is bold, daring and fabulous! 
 





Famous stars were confident enough to wear his amazing pieces regardless of the tremendous amount of ridicule they may have endured, but they still wore them confidently. The same goes for every day people! Your style is YOURS and yours alone, so be proud of it! If you're a goth, wear your goth attire without a care in the world.  Flash those super long nails shamelessly. lol whip yo' weave back and forth! If you're doing something that will make you stand out in the crowd, be prepared for anything (stares, snickers, taunting, yelps, glomping o_O) but also, don't pay any mind to negativity! There will always be someone who has something negative to say regardless of what you do, and if they can't offer constructive criticism then they should be ignored. Build your confidence and always stay true to yourself. (⌒▽⌒)☆ 



DO be creative. Fashion comes from creativity and thought. Lots of creative thinking goes into a fashion designer's style. Being stylish and fashionable will be nearly impossible if you aren't thinking creatively!

Suppose you are given two pieces of clothing - - a pair of stonewashed jeans and a plain white T-shirt, and you were instructed to recreate the entire outfit using materials of your choice to make it look more girly and princess-y. Would you have the creative instinct to want to jazz it up and make the outfit more than just a simple shirt and pants? Maybe you could cut and sew the jeans into a pair of shorts and add pink lacey trim all around the bottom edges. Or sew pink bows and ribbons all over the white T-shirt. Altering your wardrobe and making the clothes your own...all requires creativity!


Now of course many may not have the means to go that far when it comes to re-creating something, but it can also apply when it comes to simply shopping for clothes and putting them together. Try shopping for an entire outfit - top, bottom, shoes and all accessories - and just let those creative juices flow! Try the unconventional, like mixing up colors or maybe even different patterns. Accessorize as much as possible, that's what makes your look complete! Do your hair and make-up in a way that will allow it to flow with the rest of your coordination. 

Your own personal creativity is what will determine your individual style. Being inspired by a general style is great, but it's up to YOU to make it your own. ^_^

           


~FASHION DON'TS~

DON'T half a** it.
I censor this because I don't want to offend certain people who may read this blog, but my message is conveyed regardless! This one is probably my biggest DON'T of all the rules of style and fashion. DO NOT do a half job on ANYthing! We all know by now that fashion requires tweaking, but it also requires effort and  doing things right. If you want to wear knock-offs, make them convincing
. Fake hair? Make it look nice, if not real. Learn how to apply make-up neatly and properly. One of my biggest irritants is when women tend to wear fake lashes and an entire head of fake hair with no make-up whatsoever. It may sound a bit snobby, but false lashes in particular do not look good without any eye make-up on to define them.


Half-a**sing can come in a lot of different forms. For instance, don't spend so much time and effort on one area but neglect the others. Don't give yourself a fabulous new hairstyle but make the outfit look just plain and ordinary. Don't wear slamming make-up but the untrimmed brows make the look seem incomplete. Don't have on a banging outfit but do nothing to your hair and face! If one is not a make-up type of girl, just making sure to take that extra step to be sure your face is clear and moisturized means that you're making sure you're together 100%.

Most of all, just try! Fashion and style require effort. If you are going for the gyaru look, give it your BEST effort and your BEST try. Work with what you have, but make NO excuses. So many times I see girls who are just starting off with gyaru and they give it a first try with no false lashes, very little make-up, un-styled hair and un-groomed eyebrows when those are the KEY points to gyaru...so then you must ask yourself, "Did I really give this my best effort?" Again, I am no super gyaru, and I still have a way to go myself. But you cannot possibly expect to improve at any style if you aren't giving it a 100% effort. N
o half-a**ing!!!  

DON'T
be a clone or copycat. Try to be an individual when creating your style. When trying to find your own style and look it can be really great to have people of whom you admire or who inspire you to create the look you always wanted for yourself. But the key words is to create it for yourself. If you always simply copy other looks that you see, then how is the style truly yours and unique to you? If you cannot put together an outfit outside of the style/person you're copying, then you still are not a person with an individual or unique look. 

 


(Everyone seems to want to be just like Nicki Minaj nowadays....o.O)

A person who copies every single look that, say, Kim Kardashian, has ever done right down to the core might appear to be a very fashionable and stylish person, but the TRUE test will come when it's time to put together something outside of Kim K.'s wardrobe. My theory is that we already have a Kim K., so we don't need another one! :D Be original, be unique and create your OWN style. Borrow inspiration from others and turn it into an entire new look that'll have you as the next trendsetter. We already have enough Lady GaGa, Rihanna and Nicki Minaj wanna-bes! As I mentioned before, don't be afraid to step outside of the crowd and be an individual. It would be much better to have others wanting to copy you than the other way around! ^_~



DON'T always shop brands.
 
I know this is a popular don't in the gyaru fashion community, but in my opinion it should be rule no matter what type of fashion you're following! The top reason why this is a don't for me is because wearing all brand named clothing doesn't give you a chance to experiment, thus limiting your style and creativity...and once again, possibly leaving you to look like a clone. A lot of times certain brands go for the same standard looks, so if you wear the same brand all the time, you're pretty much going to look the same...all the time. No matter how often you switch it up. Which can be boring. Following a certain style may require a bit of consistency, but wearing the same stuff over and over can become uninteresting.

(Dereon and Apple Bottoms are popular brand names for clothes...and also very typical and boring after seeing them on every person after a while. >.<) 

Another reason this is a don't is because looking good can already be expensive without brands!! Brand named clothes can be nice, but one could also spend a fortune on a look of which they could've created for half of the amount they spend had they bought off-brands. The brand of what you wear does not define your look. Off-brand does NOT always = cheap, low quality, low status. While I don't usually recommend off-brand make-up, sometimes even with make-up the quality isn't any different than something cheaper just because the price is higher. (Sometimes.) It's not the brand you wear or how much you spend, it's how you put it all together.



DON'T give up! ^_^ I know first hand that creating your own look and style can be challenging, draining, discouraging, and a really slow and seemingly hopeless process at times, especially for those who don't even know the first thing about style or fashion. But! (I know you guys knew there was a 'but' coming. xp) As with anything in life, this too requires a lot of time, effort, research, trial and error until you arrive at where you want to be. Do not doubt yourself! If something doesn't turn out the way you wanted it to the first few times, keep trying. Change your techniques if you have to. The more you try, the better you will get!!
Work on throwing away all your insecurities, doubts and anything that others who may not have believed in you might have said. No one is too fat, too skinny, too pretty, too ugly, too black, too white, too short, too tall, too ANYthing to be fashionable and stylish! I once had a black girl with very very dark skin tell me that she thought she was 'too black' to wear make-up. All I could think to myself was, "What?! How could you think that way about yourself?!" lol it really just broke my heart because she already had an attractive face and the entire time I was imagining her with shimmery light gold eye shadow and deep/burgundy maroon lip color looking like a beauty queen! Thoughts such as these must be burned..no matter how difficult it might be we fashionistas in training must remember to keep our minds steady towards our goals, and we will achieve it! It can be really hard creating your personal style. But never ever give up! You will get there.♥

  
 


Phew!  haha this is pretty much everything I go by! Maybe I should rename this to "Naniberi's personal fashion handbook" and try to get it published and make money off of this thing. lmao 

Anyhoo, I really hope whomever may be reading this has gotten some sort of inspiration out of it, no matter how far along they are on their journey of style!  (^▽^) 

Do you have any of your own personal do's and don'ts of fashion?

No comments:

Post a Comment

comments!